The macOS Sierra was released on the 20th of September of 2016. It was the thirteen release from Apple’s macOS library. This version succeeded OS X El Capitan and preceded macOS High Sierra.
The OS was praised by both critics and audiences alike for its excellent functionality and new additions. In particular, Siri’s implementation and the new options in Apple Pay were viewed favorably. At the same time, Auto Unlock was criticized for not always being consistent and the fact that the new features of Messages were only available on iOS 10 was frowned upon.
Although users loved the new features, they also found it hard to set them up and get used to them right off the bat. In some cases, they also preferred the old features of the previous OS version as they were easier to use. In spite of its shortcomings, Sierra was a brave step forward for Apple to try new things out with their products and although they did not always succeed, they definitely shone bright when they did.
Features of macOS Sierra 10.12
These are some of the new applications or enhancements that can be seen in macOS Sierra 10.12:
- Siri- Till the introduction of Sierra, Siri was absent from the macOS releases. Now, it can be accessed by the user through the menu bar or Dock(part of the macOS’ graphical user interface). Compared to the mobile version of Siri, this version is able to respond to more complex commands. Siri can look for information online, locate files, adjust system settings, and send messages.
- Auto Unlock- This is one of the coolest features introduced. Users will now be able to gain access to their Mac without even using a password or touch ID. They can pair their Apple Watch with their Mac and they can unlock their Mac using the watch if they give permission to it. Auto Unlock will only work on Mac models that were released in 2012 and after that.
- Photos- There is a new feature in Photos called Memories which will group the user’s images together on the basis of factors such as time or place. Beautiful slideshows can be created using this feature and the user can adjust the music and other settings on the slideshow to their liking.
- Messages- There are some fun new additions to the Messages feature. The user will now be able to send much larger sized emojis. Tapback is a feature that allows users to respond to their messages without typing anything out. Right-clicking on a message will allow the user to select from a bunch of icons(heart, thumbs-up, thumbs-down, etc).
- Night Mode- This feature can be turned on when the user wishes to protect their eyes from unnecessary strain at night(reduction of blue light).
- Optimized Storage- Optimized Storage was introduced so that the user would not waste space. The System Information application will provide users with information about the space of each file so that they will be able to make decisions about which ones they should keep and which they should delete. Files(cache files, event logs) that have been in the user’s trash for more than 30 days will be automatically deleted.
- Gatekeeper- Gatekeeper can be disabled if the user wishes as some may find checking each file or program tedious. Users can now sign their disk images which prevent attackers from getting to their data like before as the attackers would now require a valid data certificate to bypass Gatekeeper’s security system.
- Universal Clipboard- The Universal Clipboard will allow users to have continuity between their Mac and iOS 10 devices. This means that they can start a particular activity such as making a call or writing an email on one device and continue from where they left off on another one.
Procedure to download macOS Sierra 10.12
These are the steps that have to be followed in order to download macOS High Sierra:
Check compatibility of the Mac
The user has to ensure that their Mac is compatible with macOS Sierra so that it can be downloaded. The following are the models with which macOS Sierra 10.12 is compatible:
- MacBook(2009 and onwards)
- iMac(2009 and onwards)
- MacBook Air(2010 and onwards)
- MacBook Pro(2010 and onwards)
- Mac mini(2010 and onwards)
- Mac Pro(2010 and onwards)
Backup the system before the upgrade
This is done to ensure that the user does not lose any important files or data when they are downloading macOS Sierra. Time Machine is an inbuilt feature of macOS Sierra 10.12 and Mac OS high sierra 10.13 that can be used for this purpose.
Ensure that a steady connection is present
A steady Internet connection must be available for the download of the macOS Sierra as the download and installation may take a very long time. The computer must also be sufficiently charged so that no unnecessary interruptions are created that hinder the download and installation that are to take place.
Start the downloading process
The user can go to the App Store and download macOS Sierra. They should wait patiently while the download takes place.
After the download is done, the user will be prompted to begin the installation. It is suggested that the user do this in the evening so that the process can be completed overnight. After the user restarts their computer after the installation is finished, they will be able to experience macOS Sierra for themselves.
Download macOS Sierra 10.12 ISO and DMG images
After downloading macOS Sierra from the App Store, the following steps have to be followed after going to the Terminal:
- Create a Sierra DMG image
- Mount the DMG image to macOS
- Create a macOS Sierra Installer
- Unmount the disk image
- Convert the DMG image file to an ISO file
All of the commands to be entered in the terminal must be done so without any mistakes so that both the ISO and DMG files can be obtained successfully. These commands can be retrieved from a verified site online which the users can follow when they wish to download the DMG and ISO files.