Microsoft Windows 2000 was one of the most revered operating systems developed by Microsoft which was considered the best OS at that time. The OS was finally released in November 1999 after many beta tests and releases, leading to the rectification of most of the glitches and errors, making it one of the most ideal OSes to work on a server network. The Windows 2000 OS belonged to the Microsoft NT family and is the successor of Windows NT 4.0 carrying the same traditional UI with some tweaks.
This was also the first-ever server OS to provide server maintenance to the users and included many of the security benefits needed to run a server successfully. Microsoft attempted to develop an OS that could run on a 64-bit framework but had failed as the market was not ready for the change at that point in time and later incorporated the 64-bit support in its next OS version, MS Windows XP.
Maintaining a server is quite difficult with normal computers running a normal OS, hence a special operating system which can handle the load was required to be developed. This led to Microsoft coming up with Windows Server 2000 OS. There were many new features added to the OS like application development support engines and server maintenance.
Varied storage formats like NTFS and FAT were supported which had a better data storage efficiency than the conventional ones used, along with improved processor utilization, data encryption for securing data, and improved networking abilities for providing smooth server operations. These features that were provided were very useful for software developers, small and medium-sized businesses who needed to make big progress in their respective fields.
The OS is one of the finest breakthrough OSes ever made, helping many small and medium-sized businesses to grow through the use of technology. The time this OS was released was the prime time where many jumped into the tech world to get benefits and to taste the advantages of technology. Microsoft has been doing a fabulous job of developing OSes and other pieces of software considering the market requirements and the technological trends, to make their stand in the tech market.
Overview of Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Server is a newly launched software by Microsoft. Windows 2000 Server is an operating system that is constructed for both client and server PC. One of the successors of Windows 2000 Server is Windows NT 4.0.
During the developing period, this server was renowned as another name that is NT 5.0. There are four types of edition available with their character. One type of Windows 2000 Server is named as Windows 2000 Server which offers the active directory features. These were running, another server may have stopped working.
System Requirements for Windows 2000 server
- The most important thing is a Pentium based CPU is required.
- A minimum of 133 MHz clock speed is also required.
- Requires 64 megabytes of RAM. This server will support a maximum of 4 megabytes of memory. When memory increases the performance quality will also increase.
- A 2 gigabytes hard disc is required.
- Free storage space is also required, mainly 650 megabytes.
- Therefore, an extra hard disc is required if users will download this server through a LAN connection.
Features of Windows 2000 Server
We have come up with really interesting features of Windows 2000 Server.
This is the first time in Microsoft history where they may include the active dictionary in the Windows 2000 server. So, it’s no doubt amazing. The main function of the active dictionary is to gather information according to their resources. Besides, it also gathers information about the users or a group.
Distributed File System
This is a very useful feature that Microsoft included in the Windows 2000 Server. Distributing files across multiple servers is the main function of this feature over the network.
NTFS 3.O FILE SYSTEM
It’s a very good feature of the Windows 2000 Server. According to the user, it’s very useful in the operating system. The main function of this file system is the following:
- New fonts for creative content development.
- Better UI for better accessibility.
- Storage Encryption to keep your data safe.
- New file formats like NTFS, FAT-16, and FAT-32 are supported for faster data transfer and storage.
- Supports software development to aid developers.
- Improved networking for fast web access.
- Network load balance.
- Closed source software/ shared source software.
- Available in three different editions.
- Crash-proof and stable architecture.
- Secure VPN for secure browsing.
- Microsoft management console(MMC).
- Web access and OS could be managed with just a single consistent interface.
- Support for USB devices (Universal Serial Bus) for data sharing.
- Availability in multiple languages.
- Windows installer to track applications.Increased uptime to aid server management.
Virtual Private Network
Making a PC a remote server is possible only for the virtual private network feature of Windows 2000 Server. It also permits them to stay connected with clients via VPN. Users can possess shared files through the features which reside on the user’s system on the network.
On July 13, security updates or any other available updates regarding protection are launched for the Windows 2000 server by the Microsoft ended team. Now, people are easily penetrating the virus attack. Users are more likely to lose their data or encrypted connection by the malware attack. The user is also facing the hard disk corruption problem.
As a result, the user may lose their important data. Due to these problems only, Microsoft decided to remove the Windows 2000 server. Users may now use the new server that is Windows Data Recovery.
The installation process of Windows 2000 Server ISO
After completing the download process user can install the file. For that, they have to follow the on-screen instructions. As per that they have to work step by step. The installation process will be easier. So the user can do this. They can not face any problem. After finishing the process again they can restart their system so that the installation process will complete.
This is a perfect time to sum up the article. It is no doubt a grand decision of Microsoft to launch the Windows 2000 server were including the active dictionary features makes the server another level. Users to many benefits for that particular feature. Experts now suggest the Windows 2000 server as it is easy to use. The server is working smoothly. The Datacenter and advanced type of windows 2000 is being very user friendly. It is advised that users may go through the article before starting the download and Installation process.
Downloading The Windows Server 2000 ISO File
- On your web browser, search for a free download of Windows Server 2000.
- Then, choose an authentic and trusted website to download the software. We always recommend you research the website before you download anything from it as some websites may contain faulty software, viruses, and malware with the files that you want to download. These may corrupt or damage your PC.
- When you are done with your research and have chosen a good website, go ahead and choose the edition or version of the OS you intend to download which in this case, is Windows Server 2000.
- After you have chosen the edition and version of the OS, you can click on the download button or click the mirror link which will redirect you to an external website where you will be able to find the download option for the file.
- Before downloading the OS, you need to select the download location on your PC and always make sure you read the description given on the download page as they may contain some important methods about how to install the OS and run it successfully.
- Once you are done with the downloads, you can copy the OS file on a pen drive or a DVD and then use it to install the OS on any computer you prefer.
The Windows Server 2000 version of the OS was the best at the time of its release and made a huge impact in the expansion of the computer industry as the OS mainly focused on server-based operating systems which were the need of the hour. Microsoft has terminated its official support for the OS but it can still be used to maintain a basic level server where the traffic is low. The OS is also cost-efficient. At the same time, the OS is vulnerable to viruses and malware that are not suitable for maintaining servers. Hence, you can use this OS on an old machine which you have or for performing basic computing operations. We hope you enjoyed reading the article and found it to be informative.